Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Handlebar setup ..... IMO

Now that you have a roller, mount the handlebars. I ordered some 7075 44cm bars from Nashbar (www.nashbar.com) that are modern looking, black, and lighter than most at 246g. I know 'cause I weighed them. The one who was not obsessed with weight reduction now weighs every single thing. I went with a stem and bars that were the old uncool standard size. The over sized bars, this and that, are just overkill IMO. When these handlebars break on me throwing me over them, I will recant. Speaking of Nashbar, I ordered a lot from them. I was a little embarrassed like it was the WalMart of cycling but they have name brands, great prices, quick delivery, and they have been around forever. I found an article from the early 80s with a Nashbar bike compared to some other racers. It fared very well. Overall, not a bad place to look. When you order, check the "yes" box for e-mails but enter your backup e-mail so you won't fear being stalked by retailers and spam. I seldom, wait..... never, do this but I have received several one day sale notices that are really good. That's how I got the Force/Attack tire set for $63.

Okay, mount the bars and center them. Many of today's bikes have this mountain goat look to them with the bars turned up and the levers looking like horn extensions. Add those highly modified angled top tubes and they look cheap to me. I like them where the flat of the top of the bar is in line with the stem angle shown here. You do what's comfortable but if it looks goofy, this may be why.

No comments: